[Bf-python] Suppot for bgl vertex arrays / VBOs ?
Gert De Roost
2013-08-19 09:29:21 UTC
Is there going to be a time for OpenGL vertex arrays and vertex buffer
objects (VBOs) to be supported by Python bgl ?

I could really use the speedup for my preselection highlighting addon,
immediate mode is deprecated and slow...

Gert De Roost
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
HI Gert,

You can find a related topic here:
http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/912/draw-geometry-on-screen-using-bgl-module

It's not hard to expand the available (basic *) opengl functions, it's more
a matter of defining where to draw the line of when to drop bgl and use a
pyGL like library.

Do you have a list of all the opengl calls you would like to see supported?
That can help understand the scope of what you are asking.

* non-basic opengl calls are the ones that need to be bind per vertex, such
as vertex attributes. If I remember correctly those are a bit more
complicated to be incorporated in the code. Though for your need/vbo it may
be simple.

Dalai

--
blendernetwork.org/dalai-felinto
www.dalaifelinto.com

2013/8/19 Gert De Roost <paleajed at gmail.com>
Post by Gert De Roost
Is there going to be a time for OpenGL vertex arrays and vertex buffer
objects (VBOs) to be supported by Python bgl ?
I could really use the speedup for my preselection highlighting addon,
immediate mode is deprecated and slow...
Gert De Roost
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
The most basic function I need is really only vertex arrays at the moment:

*glEnableClientState()*
*glDisableClientState()
*
*glVertexPointer()
**glColorPointer()

**glDrawArrays()
**glDrawElements()

*
Thats a first selection, VBO would be nice too but I can do without...
Are there really plans to integrate pyGL? Any time soon?
Blender can use the power!

Gert De Roost
HI Gert,